More than misconceptions: Multiple perspectives on student knowledge and reasoning, and an appropriate role for education research.Hammer, David (David M.)
This article analyzes an excerpt of a discussion from a high school physics class from several different perspectives on students' knowledge and reasoning, illustrating a range in what an instructor might perceive in students' work and take as tasks for instruction. It suggests a view of current education research as providing perspectives to expand, refine, and support instructors' perceptions an... read more
- Physics--Study and teaching (Secondary)
- Reasoning--Study and teaching (Secondary)
- High school teaching.
- Effective teaching.
- Communication in education.
- Reasoning in children.
- Tufts University. Department of Physics and Astronomy.
- Tufts University. Department of Education.
- Permanent URL
- Original publication
- Hammer, David. "More than misconceptions: Multiple perspectives on student knowledge and reasoning, and an appropriate role for education research." American Journal of Physics 64, 1316 (1996). http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.18376.