Crane Theological Library, 1891-1968


The Crane Theological Library (1891-1968) was started in 1891, to support the divinity studies of Crane Theological School.

History of Crane Theological Library

The Crane Theological Library (1891-1968) was started in 1891, to support the divinity studies of Crane Theological School.

The school started as the Tufts College Divinity School in 1869. The name was changed in 1906 to the Crane Theological School after a considerable donation from alumnus Albert Crane (A1863) in memory of his father Thomas Crane, who was also an original trustee. Buildings were spread out between Miner Hall, Paige Hall and West Hall. Books and a collection for divinity study were housed in Miner Hall, and it marked the unofficial start of the Crane Theological Library.

The library's collection was kept and considered separate from the Universalist Historical Society.

In 1952, the Crane Library holdings were moved to the newly built Wessell Library building (now called Tisch Library). However, then Director Alan Seaburg felt that the library's collection should still remain separate from the Arts, Sciences, and Engineering School's holdings.These separate Crane Library holdings were transferred to the Harvard Divinity School in 1975, shortly after the school officially closed in 1968 due to low enrollment.