Department of Italian, 1926-1939


An Italian-language course was offered by the Department of French from 1893 until 1926. In 1926, the Department of Italian was established. In 1939, the Department of French and the Department of Italian were combined to form the Department of French and Other Romance Languages, which also offered courses in Spanish and Portuguese.

History of Department of Italian

Before the creation of the Department of Italian in 1926, an Italian-language course was offered by the Department of French, which had been established in 1893. Students were required to have completed two years of French in order to take Italian. The course was offered every two years, alternating with a Spanish course. In 1926, a separate Department of Italian was listed among the Departments of Instruction. In 1939, the Department of French and the Department of Italian were combined to form the Department of French and Other Romance Languages, which also offered courses in Spanish and Portuguese.