Lufkin Engineering Library, 1928-1996


Richard H. Lufkin Memorial Library (1928-1996) was a collection started with the Tufts College's School of Engineering to provide resources to engineering students and faculty. The library was merged with Wessell Library in 1996.

History of Lufkin Engineering Library

Lufkin Engineering Library (1928-1996) was a collection started with the Tufts College's School of Engineering to provide resources to engineering students and faculty. The collection included resources for mathematics, physics and astronomy departments. The library was merged with Wessell Library in 1996.

The Richard H. Lufkin Memorial Library later encompassed the Knipp Physics Library and the Rockwell Chemistry Library all into Wessell, as of summer 1986. Lufkin Library was located in Anderson Hall, the main engineering building.

A plan was first proposed in fall 1987 to merge the contents of Lufkin Library with Wessell Library. (Tufts Daily, Oct. 28, 1987). In November 1987, the student Senate voted to oppose the move of Lufkin to Wessell. The proposal included folding the Engineering Library, the Julian K. Knipp Physics Library and the Edward Rockwell Chemistry Library all into Wessell. Lufkin was completely closed and moved to Wessell in Fall 1996 (Tufts Daily, Jan. 18, 1996).