Edward Rockwell Chemistry Library, 1965-1996


The Edward Rockwell Chemistry Library (1965-1996) was opened in 1965, with the opening of the Arthur Michael Chemistry Research Laboratories building. The library served chemistry and chemistry engineering students until its collections were folded into Tisch Library in 1996.

History of Edward Rockwell Chemistry Library

The Edward Rockwell Chemistry Library (1965-1996) was opened in 1965, with the opening of the Arthur Michael Chemistry Research Laboratories building. The library served chemistry and chemistry engineering students until its collections were folded into Tisch Library in 1996.

The Tufts University chemistry library was incorporated in winter of 1922 as part of the Chemistry Department.

The library was later expanded, and was later named for Tufts Chemistry department professor Edward Rockwell. The library was located in Michael Lab on the Medford campus, which was so named in May 1965, and served chemical and chemical engineering needs. The collection was noncirculating and available to students by appointment only.

The Arthur Michael Chemistry Research Laboratories building, dedicated on 14 May 1965. The building was named for an organic chemist and Tufts faculty member for 30 years who received three honorary degrees from the institution, although he never received a degree.